I am trying to be more careful about what I buy, focusing on quality over quantity. However the season is changing and we are entering the best time of year for me to get the types of things I love. So here are the items on my fall shopping list.
- They come in custom calf measurements, 2CM at a time. This means that I can measure my calves, pick a size and KNOW they will fit properly.
- They are real leather and high quality construction, meaning they will last a long time.
- They are the perfect heel height – high enough to wear with a skirt, low enough to not hurt myself in.
- They are unique and different. Yes, I know the true classic is an equestrian style riding boot, but I’ve come to the conclusion that I like a little something extra. The military styling and vertical line created by the buttons fit the bill perfectly.
B) The Perfect Oxblood Bag: I haven’t decided precisely what bag this will be yet. The current leading contender is The Cambridge Satchel Company’s Oxblood satchel. I love the color, the structure, etc. Asos has the 14 inch for $196, and Cambridge Satchel Company has either the same basic price on the 14 inch or the slightly smaller 13 inch for $5 less. However, again, these are not inexpensive bags. The key to finding something else that works will be finding a structured bag; I just don’t like slouchy these days. And of course finding the right color; there are a lot of wine’s, burgundies, maroons, and such that aren’t quite right.
C) Oxblood Clothing: Oxblood happens to be a color that looks amazing on me, so one of the goals will be to find clothing in this color while it is in style and in season. The good news is that, unlike with leather, the other shades of wine, burgundy, maroon and dark red are all acceptable. The bad news is that I’m finding far too little of it anyway. I’m still looking.
What I am NOT buying any more of this fall:
- Stripes or polka dots. I am well-supplied.
- Purses in colors I already have. I have too many bags as it is.
- Greens. I look OK in the dark greens that show up this time of year, but I don’t look fantastic. I am going to stick to colors in which I look fantastic.
- Most prints. I am rapidly concluding that the most flexible, attractive and sophisticated wardrobe for me uses unembellished pieces in rich colors, combined with terrific jewelry and patterned scarves. There may be exceptions for certain specific types of geometric and/or abstract prints, such as this Vince Camuto top, but not many. (Luckily for me this is already sold out in my size.)
- Colored Jeans/Pants. Not because I don’t love them, but because I have quite a lot of them already, in pretty much every color I can picture myself wearing. I don’t need anymore unless I need to replace something.
- Corduroy. I live in Arizona. I can wear it for about 2 weeks out of the year. It’s just not a good choice for me.
Things I am on the lookout for but don’t absolutely require include fun jewelry, scarves, and cardigans. I have LOTS of each of those, so I need to be more careful about what I buy and take the time to do an inventory. However those items form the basis of my wardobe; they are very hard for me to walk away from.
So what are you shopping for this fall?