A busy week calls for simple clothing

IMG_2775Last week didn’t get any less busy as it went on but at least by Friday I managed to get enough done to feel like the week had been a success.

• Black slim-leg knit jeans (Coldwater Creek)
  • Floral A-line Tank (J.Jill)
  • Linen Blend Drape Cardigan (JJill)
  • Black sandals (Aetrex; old)
  • Black and white purse (Penny Sue, purchased at Little Black Bag)
  • Art Deco-esque Necklace (my boutique across the street)

The bag is a new one from Little Black Bag.  On the one hand, I think it looks really sharp – from a distance.  However it feels kind of PVC-like in a way I’m not entirely fond of.  The size and shape are terrific, though, so for now I will hang on to it.  With any luck, it will hold up in the way that only PVC can; forever.

Photo on 3-22-13 at 3.47 PM #3

IMG_2788Closer shot of the necklace.  I really like it; crystals in a few places, a very art deco feeling design, and just the right length for this type of top.  It wouldn’t be considered officially art deco, but it has that feel.  I like that era and the design aesthetic, so for me this was a great find!

As you can tell from the location of the full length shot, I rode my bike Friday and was on my way back to the bike shop.  (This is the best spot on my walk to take a picture; there’s a mail box to put the tripod on and enough shade that the light isn’t problem.

I replaced the tires with ones that are less sensitive to thorns and all the detritus on the sides of the road in Arizona.  The fastest way to ruin a perfectly lovely ride is a flat tire.  The 9 miles from home to work isn’t a hard ride, but a flat can take it from 40 minutes (stop lights; meh) to twice that.  What I love about riding is the feeling of motion; the wind, watching the ground disappear under my tires, all that.  (I’d say the wind in my hair, but I wear a helmet when I ride; my brain is my most valuable asset, so I protect it.  And I don’t trust cars.)  Overall, it’s very satisfying.

I rode twice last week.  The goal for this week is to ride 3 times, but the minimum is still 2.  Early meetings can throw off the schedule very easily.  Riding makes me feel good, although someone needs to explain why my weight keeps going up despite a substantial calorie deficit; I’m thinking I just need to leave the scale alone for a while.

Join us! Click the Spotlight stillbeingmolly WatchOutForTheWoestmansScreen Shot 2013-02-24 at 7.10.22 PM

1. Ana says:

Love the new bag. I’m loving the black and white for spring/summer. Visiting from My Style Monday!

• Rebecca says:

Welcome! Black and white is such a great way to make an outfit really stand out this time of year! Against a see of pastels, no one ever overlooks the lady in sharp black and white!

2. pooks says:

Your necklace is superb. As you say, it is the perfect length and the art deco styling is gorgeous. Nice job, pulling everything together so nicely!

• Rebecca says:

Thanks! I am on the prowl these days for art deco accents; they have such a great geometric style without being overly modern, 60s mod or rigid!

3. Versatilestylebytracey says:

That purse is fabulous and you are rocking the black/white trend!

• Rebecca says:

It really is one of my favorites! I love contrast, and white and black are as contrasting as you can get!

4. Patti_NotDeadYetStyle says:

I think it’s great that you bike to work, for all the good reasons – hooray for you! Love your new necklace and those slim jeans. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

• Rebecca says:

The necklace was such a great find, especially at under $15. Those things are my favorites – the great pieces that are both budget friendly AND have terrific style!

5. I have bags like this that I bring in and out of rotation. Know what you mean. But there is such a thing as True-Bag-Love, especially when you need a certain size for must-haves. Hope this one serves you that way.
    You look really confident her.! Must be because you look so good!

• Rebecca says:

I actually have a go-to black leather bag that I adore; Foley & Corinna that I’ve posted here before. I originally got it in a different color (a tan that looks almost mustard) and loved the size, shape and feel so much that I stalked the black one on ebay. I don’t mind paying for a great bag that will last, but I find I like variety as well, and it’s kind of fun to have a lot of different fun bags in the closet.

6. Sarah MumofThree World says:

Gorgeous necklace and you’re looking fab for her woman in her 40s! (I’m 39!) Also impressed at you riding your bike that far. Discovered you on Clairejustine’s style blog hop – where I share my daughter’s style rather than my own!

• Rebecca says:

47 next month, although I am in denial about that. My joke has been that the day everyone else was standing in line for the skinny genes, I was rushing to be first in line for the youthful appearing ones.