OOTD: Bright Cardigan Remix

I love this Talbots sweater; the cut is conservative, but the colors are bright and therefore memorable.  Because of that I try not to wear it every single week :-).

Today I decided to wear it over a tiered beaded tank that I got on clearance from Lane Bryant.  Had you asked me 6 months ago I would have told you that I NEVER would have worn something with all these beads around the neckline UNDER another item (unless that item was an overcoat), but I’m thinking differently these days and I think this works well.  In addition, the tiers create some texture to go with all the color.

While this color-wise isn’t THAT different from the way I wore this cardigan last time, I am more comfortable today because of the tiers; they hid a multitude of sins and make the look a little sleeker.

I also traded in my purple purse for the clutch I was carrying earlier this week, today with the chain strap on it.  I think this purse works with this cardi just fine, but with the tank it gets to be a bit much.  Next time, a more neutral card would go a long way toward showing off both pieces better.

Pants are my standard black Coldwater Creek Ponte Knit Trousers.  I’ve definitely been in a pants mood lately, and since most of my comfortable non-jean work pants are black, they’ve been seeing a lot of wear.  I probably need to do something about that, but until I get a real photographer who can get full length shots it hardly matters.

<RANT>

I want to rant for a moment about the fat tax; specifically the fact that MOST plus-sized clothing is only available online.  We therefore pay extra for the clothing (“more fabric” dontchaknow) PLUS shipping in at least one direction.  I have 4 things on order right now, and I am betting that at least 2-3 of them will go back as not fitting well, not flattering, or not matching well with the things I had hoped to wear them with.  In nearly all cases, you pay for that in both directions.

Now, there are some stores (J.JILL AND OLD NAVY SPECIFICALLY) that CARRY plus sizes, just not in their stores.  There are others (COLDWATER CREEK SPECIFICALLY) that don’t carry their full size range in stores; Coldwater recently stopped carrying 3X in the stores and lost a TON of my impulse shopping money for their trouble.  Oh, and OLD NAVY: How about letting us return plus-sized items in stores instead of having to pay to send things back!  This is why you don’t get my money anymore.

Finally, how about (if you have one) putting your plus line in ALL YOUR STORES!  (I’m talking to H&M, FOREVER 21 and MACY’S here.)  The nearest H&M store with the plus line to THE 6TH LARGEST METRO AREA IN THE COUNTRY (Phoenix) is in LOS ANGELES, an 8 hour drive away.  Forever 21 at least has one store in the valley with the plus line, but it is way off in one corner of the city massively far from where I live.  For that reason I own nothing from the line; I’ve never made it out there to see if it would fit.

I realize that floor space in a retail outlet is expensive, but here’s an idea; have a sampling at least that we can try on, even if we can’t buy those items right there.  Pants and jackets SPECIFICALLY are an issue, since you never know what sizing will be like.

</RANT>

Favorite Frock Friday

1. Amber Farris says:

what a cute floral cover!

especially paired with the layered top!

love the color 🙂

Redheaded Daybook

2. Kori Donahue says:

Gorgeous! Thanks for linking up honey! Kori xoxo

3. lawyerdoll says:

And even when you order something that you already have… it can still turn out very different. That how I wound up with “butt-flap” pants! They made some changes since I bought the same “style” (same name and everything) with different fabric, but, and details. Rrrrrrrr.!

I really like the top and sweater together… I’m even digging the bag with it! And I’m very cautious about overdoing it.

4. Lydia N. says:

LOVE those colors on you! Your bracelets and purse are amazing. I love your idea about having a sampling to try on.

Where I work (a clothing/jewelry boutique) they pay very close attention to customer request. We now carry plus sizes, basics like camis and tees, as well as red hats and other breast cancer awareness items all because they were requested by customers. Also, when I first started with the company they would only carry 2 of each size, they have now expanded that because customers asked them to. So the point is, it’s always worth a shot to ask for what you want from a company. Even if it takes about a year to implement changes, most companies will listen to you.

Lydia N. <3

• Rebecca says:

I have been trying to focus more on boutiques for this very reason. They LISTEN and respond. Somehow I doubt that H&M or Coldwater are going to pay attention to a backwater fashion blogger, no matter HOW many times I link to them.

5. Diane says:

Love the cardigan but LOOOOVE the bag even more. Together they are SUPERFANTASTIC. Where is the bag from?

Don’t even get me started on F21 only having the plus line online and H&M only carrying their plus lines in the odd store. Its a real bug-bear. Oh- and Next too- no plus sizes in ANY store at all.

• Rebecca says:

I found the purse for $59.99 at TJ Maxx; it’s a Cynthia Rowley. It took me a little while to talk myself into it, but I am REALLY glad I did. While I don’t know that it is an every day bag (it’s a little small for that) it really can make an outfit.

6. […] This fact, unfortunately, reminds me of the fat tax; ie shipping in both directions.  My husband and I were talking about budgets, and he pointed out […]